Friday night I had to run out to Sears to buy a Christening gown for Brianna. B's father's family has a gown that B's grandma T made for his uncle 67 years ago, and it's been worn by every Tretter since, including Garin. It's currently being held by B's mom in California, which meant there was no way it could be here before Brianna's baptism, so I had to go buy her a special one, which made me very sad that she wouldn't be in the family christening gown.
Mom arrived last night - after I told her on Thursday that Brianna was having surgery on Tuesday, she bought a ticket to be here Saturday and stay through Friday.
So we walked over to the chapel - the whole entourage - Mom, me and my two, and Heather with her four. We got over there and changed Brianna into her gown, and set up for the baptism in the Blessed Sacriment room. The Mitchell kids were a little clueless, since they've never been exposed to the Catholic traditions. But all that considered, they did remarkably well. Austin videotaped the sacrament so Brant could watch it later. And Heather took some amazing pictures, some of which I'll post here, most of which will be on facebook.
The Sacrament was beautiful. I really thought about what it means. How I'm promising to raise Brianna as a Christian woman, to teach her the Traditions of the Church. To give her the foundations of a strong faith. I pray that she will be a woman who serves God. I pray that B and I will be a strong example of faith, of marriage, and of serving the Lord, even when things are difficult and challenging.
I really thought about it, and my eyes filled with tears as the Priest told Brianna that the burden of original sin was being washed away with the baptismal waters, and that she was a child of God. I prayed that everything would go well with the surgery and that the Lord would grant her the opportunity to serve him. I thought of all the challenges that she had already faced in her young life, and that the Lord must have special service in mind for her.
After the sacriment, I told Garin that he was responsible for being a good brother to his sister, that he was to be an example, and that he needed to protect her and take care of her. I knew he couldn't fully understand, but I knew that we would reinforce these statements as he grew. I see how already he looks at his sister with genuine love and affection in his eyes, even at his tender age, and it amazes me that he has the capacity already to care so deeply. And he treats her with such care and affection that it truly humbles me.
After the sacriment, I told Garin that he was responsible for being a good brother to his sister, that he was to be an example, and that he needed to protect her and take care of her. I knew he couldn't fully understand, but I knew that we would reinforce these statements as he grew. I see how already he looks at his sister with genuine love and affection in his eyes, even at his tender age, and it amazes me that he has the capacity already to care so deeply. And he treats her with such care and affection that it truly humbles me.
I have been gifted with two amazing children, and I am so blessed that the Lord has entrusted their care to me. Today the sacriment reminded me of my duty as a mother.










No comments:
Post a Comment