I'm ECSTATIC about being in our own place. It's a furnished apartment, so it's not REALLY my own stuff, so I'm not feeling totally settled. Still, it's nice that Garin has his own room to sleep in. Not a storage closet. And I know Heather is jubilent to have her space back. And man, I couldn't believe how much stuff I had there! Good thing my current place has a garage to keep it in until I can figure out what to do with everything!
The kids are really settling in. Garin loves sleeping in a real bed, not in a crib. The transition went really well. He goes into his bed and lays down and goes to sleep without a hitch. Occasionally I have to go in to tell him to lay down and stop looking out the window, and then he's usually asleep within minutes.
I think it's doing Brianna a lot of good as well. I can really focus on nursing her and helping her get more to eat. And spend time with her and her motor skills. She rolled over for the first time a few days after we moved in. I was so happy! She can't roll from tummy to back yet, but she's managed a way to get from her back to her tummy. Her body kind of stiffens up and she jerks her head around until she gets there, and then works her arm out from under her (it took her about 3-4 days to figure out how to get her arm un-stuck). For a few minutes she can actually look around, push up on her chest as well. She gets frustrated, though, because she can't get anywhere, and can't even roll back over onto her back. And her neck gets tired and she eventually plops back down (after about 5 minutes at the most) and she kind of lays there and cries. But it's a huge progress from where she was.
She lasts a bit longer with the exersaucer. It seems she has less trouble holding herself up when she's being held upright. She actually seems to enjoy herself there.
So we're still in the midst of the diagnostic process for Brie. She met with her new peditrician, Dr. Nguyen last week (or was it the week before?), and he seemed pretty competent and knowledable. And YOUNG. It's weird seeing doctors younger than me. But I guess I am getting older. =) Dr. Nguyen gave us all the refferals we needed. He dod a thorough examination of her. He noted that when standing she has an unusual stance and her legs seemed to be hypertonic (stiff).
I cued in on this right away. These are key words that you find in the symptoms of cerebral palsy. She has her MRI on the 20th. We'll meet back up with Dr. Scurry on the 25th to get the results. I'm about equally terrified and at peace, probably with a good dose of numb thrown in. I don't think anything will really sink in until we get a diagnosis, and there's a decent chance we might never have a cause, just a list of symptoms to address. That's the way it is with theses things sometimes, I guess.
I have a feeling that she has CP. Sometimes it doesn't seem possible. But sometimes it seems glaringly obvious. It just depends on hoe she's doing. But it doesn't really matter because I know who she is. A sweet, sensitive, baby girl who lights up the room with her smile. And it doesn't matter what the diagnosis is - THAT will never change.

No comments:
Post a Comment